Avoiding winter skincare woes
Thursday, June 25, 2009 by Tarj Mavi
Well summer has disappeared for good and here in Sydney, looks to be not returning anytime soon. Mornings have become unbearable and as much as Home and Away and Neighbours are trying to depict us to the world as a country of never ending sunshine – this is a complete lie (yes, to you Londoners out there, we do not live in constant tropical heat, much to my dismay).
With these cold dreary days and nights, as the cold winds blow, the sunblocks go back into the bathroom cabinet; we binge instead of exercise, right? WRONG!! Your skincare routines carry on as before but change.
Winter skin care requires some changes in your normal skin care routine. In winter our skin is subjected to many stressful factors. The drop in humidity means that there’s less moisture in the air and in addition, drying winds (common particularly in Melbourne) are almost like direct attacks on our skin. The result is dry, irritating, flaky skin that has the tendency to develop long term damage of aging (fine lines and wrinkles OH NO) and broken capillaries. It can be distressing and uncomfortable, but fortunately there are ways to deal with these winter blues that will send the attackers into recluse.
RULES OF WINTER
1. Adapt your skin care to recognise the change in weather conditions. Instead of using light barrier creams, use a hydrating moisturiser such as the LA MAV ORGANIC WRINKLE SMOOTHER COMPLEX. It’s thicker and is able to trap moisture into skin and fight the onslaught of those ugly fine lines. To get the biggest benefit from your LA MAV ORGANIC WRINKLE SMOOTHER COMPLEX use the LA MAV ORGANIC NIGHT REPAIR FORMULA in order to keep your skin feeling hydrated all day and night long.
2. A great way to combat extra dry skin is to apply the LA MAV ANTIOXIDANT SKIN BOOSTER and the LA MAV ROSEHIP RESCUE OIL underneath your daily moisturiser to give your skin that added moisture boost and radiance.
3. Do not over wash your skin with hot drying water. After a bath/shower, immediately apply your favourite LA MAV moisturiser in order to lock in the moisture just added to your skin while the pores are still opened (a steamy bathroom assists moisture saturation).
4. Exfoliate your skin every second day with the LA MAV CRANBERRY BIO-EXFOLIATOR and apply the LA MAV HYDRATING MASK two to three times a week in order to get rid of flaking dry skin cells and reveal softer, newer skin which is in much better shape to deal with the harsh winter air.
5. Apply the LA MAV SOOTHING LIP BALM regularly to avoid flaky and scaly lips (use the LA MAV LIP ENHANCER to gain winter truly kissable lips)
6. The sun is not as strong in winter as it is in summer but it does not mean you should stop wearing UV protection during the day!
With these simple tips and rules, your skin can look healthy all year long.
Remember to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water!
Love the LA MAV team