Teenagers can be complicated, skin included. When your child hits their teens they are often dealing with a lot of hormonal changes that can have a huge impact on their emotions and their complexion. It’s a time where balancing oil and controlling acne often become a huge focus.
WHY A SKINCARE ROUTINE IS SO IMPORTANT IN YOUR TEENS
Fluctuating hormones can aggravate teenage skin by increasing oil production, causing acne to appear. Genetics can play a part in how intense these breakouts are and can also be made worse by unhealthy diet choices or poor skin hygiene.
It develops positive skincare habits
Introducing a solid skincare routine to your teenager will set them up with positive skincare habits for life. Results don’t happen overnight and treating skin concerns requires daily consistency to keep skin clean and balanced, essential when treating and preventing acne.
It does more for their skin than you think!
Cleansing and moisturising with appropriate products will not only keep skin clean and hydrated, these steps will also help to:
- balance their skin by keeping it clean and hydrated
- gently exfoliate to remove dead skin build up that can block pores and cause breakouts
- prevents dry skin and protects the skin’s barrier health
ESSENTIAL SKINCARE STEPS FOR HEALTHY TEENAGE SKIN
Although teenage skin may be going through significant change it’s important not to jump in too quickly with a complicated routine hoping for a quick fix. Bombarding the skin could lead to irritation and confusion when trying to figure out which products may or may not be reacting well on the skin. Introducing any new skincare routine should be kept simple with a few basic steps.
The most important step in your teen’s routine, double cleansing will remove hard to budge SPF, makeup, dirt, excess oil & dead skin cells. If your teen has started experimenting with makeup, this step is particularly important to ensure the skin is not only clean, but heavy makeup (including those panda eyes!) is removed gently without stripping or irritating the skin.
Aside from being essential for our skin’s health, double cleansing also provides additional benefits to our complexion. Cleansing gently massages the skin, encouraging blood flow and lymphatic drainage which supports age defence. Cleansing correctly also allows the active ingredients in following products (such as serums and moisturisers) to effectively absorb deeper into our skin, giving greater results.
If your teen’s skin is becoming overloaded with excess oil, it can be tempting to want to dry it out. Believe it or not, skipping the moisturiser won’t do oily skin any favours. Over-drying oily skin through the use of harsh cleansers or avoiding moisturisers can cause your skin to produce more oil as it attempts to hydrate and balance itself. Oil (in the right amount) is extremely important for our skin’s health as it protects the barrier, preventing premature damage and ageing.
SPF is vital for all skin types at all ages, however encouraging daily SPF use at an early age will protect the skin and prevent premature ageing. When it comes to our skin’s health, prevention is always best! Choose a sunscreen that is gentle and won’t cause further irritation to red, inflamed skin. Zinc oxide is a great ingredient to look for in sunscreen for teens as it naturally protects from sun damage and also has anti-inflammatory properties to soothe, calm and heal acne prone the skin.
Natural Mineral Makeup will also provide a small amount of physical sun protection (usually around SPF15) due to the inclusion of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. LAMAV’s Organic BB Cream and Mineral Foundation are ideal everyday makeup products for your teen as they are lightweight, suitable for oily skin, contain bio-active ingredients that nourish the skin as you wear them and provide an extra layer of sun protection thanks to the addition of natural minerals.
If your teen is struggling with stubborn acne there are some additional products and steps that you can implement to help calm and prevent breakouts. Introducing a gentle alternative to retinol such as bakuchiol will fight acne and refine the skin’s texture without the irritating effects of Vitamin A. Bakuchiol offers a safer way to introduce a stronger, targeted treatment to sensitive teenage skin. Just be sure to implement it gradually, slowly building up to 3-4 times per week. And as with any new product introduction, don’t forget to patch test!
Exfoliants can be very beneficial for acne prone skin as they assist to breakdown and remove dead skin cells that could otherwise clog pores, leading to breakouts. It’s important to find exfoliants that are non-abrasive as too much scrubbing over active pimples can cause further irritation and in some cases infection if the blemish is broken open or irritated. Natural AHA’s are ideal ingredients to look for in exfoliants as they effectively breakdown dead skin without the need to scrub. If your teen likes the idea of a physical exfoliant it’s best to ensure ingredients are not too grainy and fine enough to buff away dead skin without scratching or damaging the skin.
Masks that contain natural clays are a great weekly treatment option for teen skin to deeply refine and refresh the complexion. Natural clays possess antibacterial properties to heal blemishes, drawing out impurities and excess oil without drying the skin. Choose products that also contain skin loving bio-actives, high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to repair and protect the skin. Vitamin C and Turmeric are a great place to start.
THE BEST SKINCARE PRODUCTS FOR TEENAGERS
When looking for skincare products for teens it can be a daunting process. There are two very important things to look for when considering skincare for teens:
- Products should be naturally derived and gentle to ensure the skin is not irritated and stripped of natural oils, leading to potential barrier damage.
- Products that are packed full of natural, bio-active ingredients will work effectively to support skin concerns on a cellular level, showing significant improvement without compromising the skin’s health
INTRODUCING OUR TOP 6 NATURAL SKINCARE PRODUCTS FOR TEENS:
LAMAV Sweet Orange Balancing Cleanser
This cleanser is a cult favourite with customers of varying skin types, and for good reason! The Sweet Orange Balancing Cleanser is gentle enough to use daily for any skin type, but is particularly beneficial for oily and acne prone skin thanks to its carefully selected bio-active ingredients. Your teen will get a deep clean with the added benefits of reduced redness and inflammation, all without stripping or drying the skin.
- AHA’s deeply cleanse and gently exfoliate the outer layer of the skin to encourage cellular turnover, while healing blemishes and reducing the effects of pigmentation
- Lactic Acid works on the natural moisturising factors within the skin to ensure your complexion remains plump and hydrated
- Papaya Fruit Enzyme is a powerhouse when it comes to refreshing and repairing the skin. It exfoliates while moisturising, helping to repair and protect damaged skin
- Desert Lime Fruit and Mountain Pepper Leaf Extracts deliver a serious hit of antioxidants and Vitamin C to support collagen synthesis while working hard to reduce inflammation, brighten the skin and support skin healing
- Aloe Vera Leaf Juice calms and soothes inflamed, irritated skin
LAMAV Probiotic Toner
Toners aren’t an essential skincare product, but this one can deliver some serious benefits when it comes to battling teenage breakouts. LAMAV’s Probiotic Toner provides an additional boost to support sebum balancing, hydration, repair and smoothing skin texture with the added bonus of probiotics to balance the skin’s microbiome.
- Probiotics help to restore balance while repairing and protecting the skin’s barrier. They have potent anti-inflammatory properties to calm and soothe redness and irritation while boosting skin’s immune health
- AHA’s purify and exfoliate the skin to encourage cell turnover, keeping pores clear and free from dead skin cells
- Lilly Pilly Extract is packed full of Vitamin C, essential for overall skin health
- Aloe Vera Leaf Juice and Lavender Flower Water boost skin’s hydration and radiance
- Bilberry and Raspberry Extracts protect the skin from environmental factors
LAMAV Bakuchiol 4% Natural Retinol Alternative
This powerful but gentle plant based retinol alternative does more than just fight acne. LAMAV’s Bakuchiol booster also contains natural bio-active and adaptogenic herbs to improve skin structure, reduce inflammation and brighten the skin.
- 4% Bakuchiol is a 100% plant derived retinol alternative that will improve cellular turnover and encourage collagen production to reduce acne, wrinkles and brighten the skin
- Adaptogenic herbs including Ashwagandha, Ginseng and Holy Basil help the body adapt and respond to stress while supporting immune health and fighting inflammation
- Pomegranate, Green Tea and Flame tree provide a serious boost of antioxidants to fight and protect against environmental stressors
LAMAV AHA Face Exfoliant
Keeping teenage skin free from dead skin cells is essential for reducing and preventing the formation of acne. LAMAV’s AHA Face Exfoliant is a powerful but gentle 2 in 1 exfoliant that supports the breakdown and exfoliation of dead skin.
- AHA Fruit Acids encourage cellular turnover and deep exfoliation to reveal smoother, brighter skin
- Matcha Powder is rich in antioxidants that have an effective anti-inflammatory action on the skin. It also deeply detoxifies, making it ideal for acne prone skin
- Desert Lime Extract dissolves and breaks down dead skin cells, purifying as it removes excess oil and impurities
- Bamboo Powder and Diatomaceous Earth gently buff away dead skin and impurities without scratching or irritating the skin
LAMAV Glow Beauty Mask
If your teen is looking for a serious complexion boost to detoxify and brighten dull, congested skin, you can’t go past LAMAV’s Glow Beauty Mask. Use 1-2 times per week to support the healing and prevention of breakouts.
- Turmeric Extract has been used traditionally in Ayurveda for many years thanks to its potent anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial benefits. Turmeric can also assist with wound healing and reducing the appearance of scarring
- Kakadu Plum is well known for having the highest concentration of nutrient-available Vitamin C in the world. It fights free radicals to protect the skin while preventing the signs of premature ageing
- Vitamin C, Licorice Root Extract and Pomegranate Seed Oil are rich in antioxidants to support healthy skin function, healing and protection while reducing inflammation
- Yellow Australian Clay contains antibacterial properties to heal skin infections and wounds, making it an ideal ingredient for teens with inflamed, active acne. It is a gentle clay that will draw impurities out of the skin while absorbing excess oil and clearing dead skin cells for a brighter, smoother complexion
LAMAV Skin Balancing Fluid
Moisturising is essential for acne prone skin to protect the skin’s barrier and balance oil production. Choosing a moisturiser that is hydrating but lightweight is key when trying to balance oily skin. This skin balancing fluid is lightweight, providing just the right amount of moisture for oily skin.
- Antioxidant-rich Vitamin C and Davidson Plum brighten and protect the skin while fighting pigmentation and inflammation
- Hyaluronic Acid keeps moisture levels in check to ensure skin remains plump and healthy
- Caviar Finger Lime provides a gentle exfoliation while supporting hydration and the skin’s Natural Moisturising Factors
- Aloe Vera Juice and Rose Distillate pump up the glow to revitalise and refresh dull skin